Thursday, October 6, 2011

Thirsty Thursday!





Hello, folks!  You all know what day it is...Thirsty Thursday!  And since I know everyone is as thirsty as I am, I'll dive right into today's selection.  I figure since fall is finally here, I'll go with the obvious choice and review one of the many Octoberfest beers available all season long.  This one comes from the vats of Samuel Adams, an American brewery based in Boston, Massachusetts.

This particular brew is lovingly crafted, per it's website, from "five roasts of malt to create a delicious harmony of sweet flavors including caramel and toffee."  I couldn't have said it better myself.  The first sip of this concoction sends a delightful medley of flavors splashing across the palate.  Ah, but I get ahead of myself.  The aroma reveals the malt blend, predominantly caramel, and reminiscent of other, headier spices.  The head quickly subsides and leaves little lacing on the glass. 

The taste of this Octoberfest is bready and strong, though not overwhelming, and slightly bitter, slightly creamy.  The one complaint I have is the aftertaste this beer leaves, a bit sour and somehow metallic (in contrast to the initial drinkability).  This is a completely accessible autumn beverage for novices (like me) and seasoned beer drinkers alike.  As an aside, I can't think of a better beer to sip while watching Major League Baseball playoffs: October-perfect. 

Overall Grade: B+

Statistics

Style: Märzen
Alcohol by Volume: 5.3%
International Bitterness Units: 15


Color: Deep Red Amber

Glass Used: Pint
Food Pairings: Kielbasa Burro Verde/Chimichangas from Taxco (this pairing was BRILLIANT, with the spices of the food working to complement and enhance the spices of the beer)
Cellaring Notes: Enjoyed 69 Days Before Best By Date
Reading Material: The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

No comments:

Post a Comment